Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Why A Blog?

For 15 years, Christian education has been my life.  I began as a fifth-grade teacher at Evangelical Christian School in Fort Myers, Florida.  Over the course of five years, I moved into an administrative role and found a love for training and equipping educators.

In 2009, I began teaching seminars at our yearly conference.  I will never forget those experiences.  My most vivid memories are of fellow educators who were professionally hungry.  They were hungry for information, for growth, and for guidance.  They were hungry for direction, experience, and connection.  There were classroom teachers and administrators alike who felt called into the ministry of teaching and leading, but often these educators felt unprepared and unequipped.  I could hear the frustration in their questions and see the stress in their eyes.  I was surprised by how helpful my information seemed to be for those who attended.

SouthLake Christian Academy, Huntersville, NC
In 2013, my family and I moved to Huntersville, NC.  Here I spent a year teaching middle school history and geography.  I was humbled and privileged be back in the classroom and enjoyed every minute of it.  That year was a reminder that while many things change over time, many other things do not.  When an administrative opportunity at my new school arose, I found a God-given opportunity to again inspire and effect other educators.

Education is not an easy profession.  To be the consummate professional takes years of hard work, but it also takes adapting to a morphing culture, as well as having stickability.  I have come to the conclusion that finding our "sweet spot" is more a state of mind than anything else.  No one has all the answers, but we do have each other.

So, let's stick together!  Let's share and bear one another's burdens.  Let's fulfill our calling and share the love of Christ.  Let's be relevant to our culture, true to the Scripture, and professional in performing our duties.  It's my prayer that this blog will offer the same hope to those with the same frustrations and despair that I met during our conferences.  It's also my prayer that each of us is teachable so we can become a true professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment